Transparent diaspora

Am i allowed to be myself?

I seem to always be objectified as something different and some-one else, than I myself feel that I am, so i cannot be myself.

I cannot claim to be invisible, because I have my colour against me. I am white and per definition a white man is always visible.

I cannot say that I do not have any space in society, because I have my class against me. I am middle class in a Scandinavian welfare state, where precisely this social entity has it all.

Finally I cannot complain, because I have my gender against me - and if I complain I am accused.

This is a very odd kind of triple-oppression, indeed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bazungus in Kampala

Africa does not exist

26/3 07 The Library (cont)

Tanzania I - Swahili man

Meeting Uganda and "the other"