2003-13: My first 10 years with Africa..

Today is my 10 years anniversary. Exactly 10 years ago I came to Africa for the first time. In Arusha I was looking up in the Tanzanian sky. I saw millions of stars. Cristal clear. I think that I can say that I had never before seen such beautiful sight. It was as if I had a close up of the Milky way. I was night aften night amased because it was never cloudy - always clear. BUT there was none of stars that I could remember from my childhood. Not a single star formation. Everything was alian. Nothing at all ressembled my previous life.

This vision of the Tanzanian sky has become a symbol of my African experience. I was a child again and had to start over. I had to gain new experiences and skills. In the beginning it was like a detective novel, but during the years I accepted what I had already read in Kapuscinskis books: That Africa will never become a habit. She will always be a condition, and therefor you cannot understand Africa but you can be Africa. In the same way as you let the sun heat you body up and feel the sweat come to the surface and evaporate from your skin. You do not do anything. There is nothing to do about it. We are one substance you, me and the sun.

I have met so many men and women in Africa. They taught me so much about life - and about myself. My gratitude will be eternal. The kindness and graciousness have been extraordinary. I have never really found a way to say thank you - other than trying to show respect and keep on coming back. I am sure I will do exactly that as long as I am able to move.

Thank you is a small word, but it is nevertheless a word that you will have to used again and again. So let me also used it again here.

Mwebale nnyo - mwebale dalla.
Thank you so much - really thank you very much.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bazungus in Kampala

Africa does not exist

26/3 07 The Library (cont)

Tanzania I - Swahili man

Meeting Uganda and "the other"