29/11 06 Forgotten books


I went without my books. In the beginning I was terrified and did not know how I would survive. After some time I remembered when I lost my diary long time ago. I began feeling the same relief as I did with the diary. All my stories in the diary had gone and it made me feel free. I realised that by forgetting the books I am always carrying with me I had been freed from my own anticipation about what I am supposed to do here. I could choose to live without books and walk not guided by maps. Apparently I have been building up some kind of dependency so I went to buy one map of Kenya in the same bookshop that I have been in before. The old Indian man is still behind the counter. It is in the middle of the business area in Nairobi. Opposite one of the europeanised coffee shops. I did survive.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bazungus in Kampala

Africa does not exist

26/3 07 The Library (cont)

Tanzania I - Swahili man

Meeting Uganda and "the other"