8/11 05 What did you learn in Africa

What did you learn in Africa today dear little boy of mine?
I learnt that poor men must die. They are sent in the village, even when they get only a flue, and there they die for almost no reason.
I learnt that a white man can't do any difference - not even saving the life of his friend, when he tries to. Here we have other rules, and you will be leaving very soon.

Hey, dear little boy of mine, what did learn in Africa today?
I learnt that white men can only care about a black women they have sex with and never about a black man - and yes, the white man will eventually go away without saying good bye returning to his wife at home if she is still around. So the black women are used to momentarily security. There will always come another man in her world of only one solution.

Dear little boy of mine, what did you learn in Africa today?
I learnt not to tell too much of what I think. I learnt to suspect everyone I don't know very well. I can't even trust my best friend anymore. I learnt to explain my unhappiness by circumstances. In a culture where the truth does not exist it is hard to believe in anything except God.

My friend what did learn today?
Yes mukwano you guessed me right. I left Africa and came back – left again. I did not learn anything. So I will keep coming back until I understand something to honor my promise.
I met a woman who asked me to watch her, but I still ask her a lot of questions, and when she does not know what to answer she begs me not to ask any more questions. On rare occasions she will ask me about something. Then I will begin to talk for a long time to explain what I think. In the end she will tell me that I was only supposed to say yes or no.

“Please be soft on me”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bazungus in Kampala

Africa does not exist

26/3 07 The Library (cont)

Tanzania I - Swahili man

Meeting Uganda and "the other"