16/10 05 Julie's Place

I am here again. In the small bar. As so many times before. Mze just walked in. He works in Town and comes here every day around 5.30pm. I have not been here in a very long time so he offers me a drink, silently. We salute each other again. He is a nice man who likes to talk. David - but nobody can call him that in his presence. It is late afternoon. I am sitting in the dark hiding from the strong sun outside waiting for my friend to appear, but I don't mind. I drink another one in the meantime.
She is like Brenda. Shy. Well dressed. Sweet. Drinking a Nile. But it is only a matter of time before she will be hooking. I remember Brenda very clearly. She is a symbol but of flesh and blood. Here are so many young nice beautiful women who end up getting in trouble because they think they only have one solution.
I am crying behind my eyes - so often I have been sitting here looking out on the hot sun imagining the world they have invited me into. Most of the time they are trapped in the world of only one solution.
The bar lady walks in - she bear the same name as my wife - she brings her two years old daugter with her. The daughter is very curious but also afraid of me. I am used to that. The mother was also afraid of me the first time we met. I remember asking for a 'short call' and she was supposed to show me the way to a place where a could take a pee but suddenly she disappeared. Apparently it is too scary to show a white man to the bathroom.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bazungus in Kampala

Africa does not exist

26/3 07 The Library (cont)

Tanzania I - Swahili man

Meeting Uganda and "the other"