RIP - Dandaloo Geoffrey, Jekaki Band

Geoffrey died last night. I remember him with great joy from Jekaki Band. When I was living in Kampala from 2003 to 2005 the 4 boys were everywhere. Always behind leading musicians and at National Theatre every Monday evening.




I have always wanted to write stories about Jekaki Band and these 4 boys, which stopped being boys long time ago. Unfortunately Geoffrey will not be around to read my story.
My mistake - an inexcusable hesitation.



There were a special energy between them and in Jakaki Band, that we ought to remember and recapture, but such an energy will not last forever:-( But the band have had great influence for many musicians in Kampala. All 4 of them were and are great artist.

Later on after I moved back to Denmark Jakaki Band traveled to Denmark and other European countries to perform. They also performed just around the corner from where I live in Copenhagen. It was a very nice experience to see them in this very different setting, though the venue was not the best.

Geoffrey was also in Germany a number of times. In that period he grew, how should I put it, very big. One time I met him in Kampala after he came back from Germany. and I could hardly recognise him, because of his size:-)

There was a time where he would come and ask me all kind of questions about Europe. I think it was because he had got a German wife. He must have thought that I could help him understand his muzungu woman. A cross cultural relationship is NOT very easy to be in. Unfortunately I don't think I was of much help for him - and maybe I was not the right one to ask!

Eventually Geoffrey left Jakaki Band. He began to play cultural music, and I heard he also did a very good job training young boys and girl to play instruments in Masaka, and it sound like him.

The only way to remember him is to keep making music, playing instruments, writing songs and stories

Dear Geoffrey
Rest in peace
We will remember you
Thank you for the music

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bazungus in Kampala

Africa does not exist

26/3 07 The Library (cont)

Tanzania I - Swahili man

Meeting Uganda and "the other"