Kenya - a new beginning?

I have left Kenya - again. I cannot even count the many times I have been to Kenya during the last 10 years. Still I am not sure I understand very much. This time I am about to say that democracy is very superficial in Kenya, but where is democracy NOT superficial?

3 weeks before election day I arrive in Nairobi. I am sitting in one of my usual drinking places downtown Nairobi. It is a bar in Koniange Street where corporate people enjoy to come and have drinks in the evening - no, it is not Kengeles, but the bar on the oppesite side of the street. The name of the bar cannot come to my mind. When I enter the bar the first public TV debate has just ended. All the participating candidates are hugging and kissing each other. I do not take much notice. The man next to me at the counter tells me that the debate has been very good and the discussion where held on high intellectual level.

I stay in the bar for a couple of hours and drink the usual number of guinness before I return to my hotel and go to sleep. The hotel is always the same and located around the corner.

During the following weeks here is a very profound and intimate exitement - everyone remembers the last election in 2007 and especially the post election violence in 2008. Nobody want it to happen again, but the atmosphere tells the story of fear and hope. We know now that the election happened peacefully, though it was a very fragile process.



The peacefulness has been good for Kenya, and when the result finally was announced (6 days after election day), it appears as if everyone accept the result. There has been many questions asked. Many questions are still unanswered, and only time will answer them.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bazungus in Kampala

Africa does not exist

26/3 07 The Library (cont)

Tanzania I - Swahili man

Meeting Uganda and "the other"