Between continents

We change after some years and become black but still bear a burden on our skin. In adopting the behaviours of our brothers and sisters.
She begins to have the demands to her boyfriend that her black girlfriends have. She has begun to think like them.
They have told me that if I stay in Africa more than 5 years, then I will never go home.
I look myself in the mirrow and I am not sure where I am.
His wife acts like a bitch and his black friends all tell him that he should not be so soft on her.
"She takes you for granted - you'll have to discipline her".
Discipline has never been my idea of a wife. Is she my daughter?
I begin to forget the reasons to respect her.
He will begin to talk hard to the woman next to him and not accept any argument from her, because she does not have anything to say.
In the evenings he has begun to do what all black men are doing to ease his mind after days of his wife's bitchy quarrelling.
I go out with other women. They will be gentle and charming as long as they are in the grace period. But when the become wife's they will be teenagers rebelling against dad.
I do not even feel bad anymore. Before I controlled myself. When I still had some morals left, it would all be in my mind.
My friends in Africa wellcome me in their lives. They appear pleased that I have joined them. I do not even live among them anymore. I left Africa long time ago - in due course before the critical 5 years. But I continue to be in Africa where ever I go and know it is already too late to go home. The 5 years are approaching very soon and my African life has passed away - a new beginning.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bazungus in Kampala

Africa does not exist

26/3 07 The Library (cont)

Tanzania I - Swahili man

Meeting Uganda and "the other"