12/11 05 White intellectuals

Today I went to the University, which happens very rarely. There were times where I thought I belonged there, but eventually I changed my mind. It was another white intellectual pretending to speak about problems of Africa. It has become a burden for me. They don't know shit.
They are always very famous so everybody will applause and Ms Noreena Hertz will be a role model for a lot of young white intellectual women and I am not going to take this away from you. I had the same kind of problem a couple of months ago with Mr Michael Hardt. He is just sampling philosophical thinking from the last decades. They all want to save Africa, but they don't have a clue. We all know the figures of how many people who are dying every day, but it will not change the world to tell us again. I am not crying because of 40.000 dying. I cry because I didn't succeed to save my friends life last year and I will punish myself for that for the rest of my life. I know that this is another story. You know if you think you can make a Marshall Plan for Africa then you think wrong. Africa is a fundamental different story and you won't even recognise it. They will welcome you and they will please you, because this is what their culture tell them to do. When you leave nothing has changed no matter what you might think.
There are people and organisations that have been working in Africa for 20 years and they don't understand this simple dynamics.
Welcome to another day in the world of only one solution.

15/11 05 intellectual responsibilities

Posted by refuse2bcynical
Well what should they do then? NOT say anything? I have a problem when it comes to cultural explanations vs. direct actions. For instance I met this woman in a swedish university who claimed that the swedish gov. should stop giving condoms to masai people because its AGAINST their culture. I dont agree with that. Culture should be changed, even if it doesnt when u leave. Even if its "violence" on "their" culture. And the "saviour" culture should be changed too. We should be allowed to propose solutions to problems, even those who are not our own. But the methods for doing it should be radically changed. And there should be more condoms, not just in africa, but in copenhagen, san fransisco and everywhere. And capitalism/imperialism/colonialism should be overthrown. The sooner the better. I cannot see anything wrong in trying, at least trying, to propose other alternative ways than those existing.

15/11 05 final solution

Posted by Wondering
What 1 solution? The final one?


25/11 05 Comments

We all want to be seen - so we try to express ourselves. I write. The whole idea is that somebody reads you. How will I know what you think? I am waiting until you will trust me enough to react.
One day I received two comments. This is what gives your life meaning, but what are you going to do with them? Shall I answer? Must I?
I want dialogue so I must respond to your comments. Is this dialogue? I am not sure. It is like receiving somebody in audience. Important people have specific hours where you can come and speak to them. Kings interact with their subordinates in such a way. Today everybody are kings and queens, but this does not leave any space for dialogue. We will receive you and ask you to sit down with us so that you can speak your mind. We will listen to you as we listen to everybody else that comes to talk to us during the afternoon. In the evening we will have forgotten most of it except those of you who spoke our own thoughts.
Welcome to the world of new born autocracy.
I will respond to 'refuse2bcynical' later no matter if my responsibility is intellectual or not.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Bazungus in Kampala

Africa does not exist

26/3 07 The Library (cont)

Tanzania I - Swahili man

Meeting Uganda and "the other"